One man was killed and another seriously injured after a gas leak at the Carlsberg factory in Northampton/UK on Wednesday noon. The man, in his 40s, was confirmed dead on Wednesday evening. A second man, aged 51, remains in hospital in a serious but stable condition. Another 21 people - including 11 staff, two police officers and 9 firefighters were taken to hospital but could be discharged in the meantime. In total 180 staff had to leave temporarily the brewery.
Julian Momen, chief executive of Carlsberg UK, confirmed that the toxic gas was ammonium, used to cool the beer in the brewery. He said, that he was “deeply, deeply saddened” by the incident, and that “our immediate thoughts are with the individual's family, friends and colleagues at this very difficult time and we will support them in every way we can."
On Friday the brewery still remained cordoned off and Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation is likely to continue over the coming weeks.