Germany: European Beer Star with new record participation

In a blind tasting for the European Beer Star , which took place on August 10 and 11 at Doemens Brewing Academy in Gräfelfing near Munich/Germany, a total of 2,151 beers from 46 countries were tasted by 133 experts from 26 countries. 

This year saw 2.2% more beers being submitted than last year, which is a new record in the 13 year old history of the competition. When the German Association of Private Brewers first organized the competition in 2004 only 271 beers were tested. "This makes the European Beer Star the world's most important beer competition this year," says Oliver Dawid, Managing Director of the Bavarian Association of Private Brewers, which organizes this event together with the German Association of Private Brewers and the Association of Small and Independent Breweries in Europe (S.I.B.).

The World Beer Cup (WBC), a bi-annual beer competition in the United States, where 1,907 breweries from 55 countries entered last year 6,596 beers, paused this year, which makes the European Beer Star the largest competition of its kind in 2017. With only 39.5 % beers coming from Germany and the rest of 60.5% being from abroad, the European Beer Star is also one of the most international beer competitions in the world.

The beers were awarded gold, silver and bronze medals in 60 different categories ranging from common beer styles like Helles, a Bavarian style pale beer, to more exotic ones like Belgian Triple a strong beer originally brewed in Belgium.

The winners will be announced at drinktec, the world's largest trade fair for the drinks industry in Munich/Germany. On September 12, trade show visitors can elect the Consumers’ Favourite amongst the gold medal winners of each category.  Following the medal ceremony on September 13, industry professionals can taste the awarded beers during the so-called winner’s night, which is also held on the fairground in Munich.

Last year, MC77- Birrificio Artigianale from Italy won the Consumers’ Favourite award for its Belgian-Style Witbier (inside.beeer, 11.11.2016).

Share this article: