In its efforts to expand beyond beer, Molson Coors Beverage Company today announced a partnership with Casa Komos Beverage Group (CKBG) to distribute Superbird a 100% blue agave tequila-based cocktail. The agreement marks Molson Coors' first entry into the premium ready-to-drink (RTD) spirits category and its latest move beyond the beer aisle.
Superbird is a canned, carbonated, 5.9% alcohol-by-volume take on a Paloma made with 100% blue agave tequila grown and processed in Tequila, Mexico; natural grapefruit juice; agave nectar; and sparkling water. The hand-crafted premium RTD cocktail has no sugars or artificial ingredients.
Casa Komos Beverage Group was founded in the spring of 2019 by industry innovator, master sommelier and best-selling author Richard Betts and media executive and marketing expert Joe Marchese. The first two brands included Komos, a luxury premium Tequila; and Superbird.
“With Superbird, we created a ready-to-drink Paloma with high quality tequila that we handcraft ourselves, resulting in a purer blanco liquid,” said Richard Betts who serves as CEO of the company. “Finding the local craftsmen and canneries who understood what we were trying to achieve was key. And now bringing Superbird to customers with the right distribution partner is the ultimate accomplishment.”
“We’re thrilled to partner with Molson Coors and have a distribution network that aligns with our higher purpose,” said Joe Marchese. “We’re honored to be working hand in hand with one of the best beverage companies in the world, and one that understands the high-quality standards to which we hold ourselves and our product.”
The RTD spirits category has experienced a 142% growth in 2020 and will be worth an estimated USD 1.2 billion in 2021, per Nielsen. Through the Molson Coors distribution network, Superbird will seek to expand distribution nationally, beginning with 10 new markets in spring 2021.
“We have clearly executed on our promise to evolve our portfolio beyond beer and moving into fast-growing RTD cocktail space with an incredible brand like Superbird only strengthens our position as a true beverage company,” said Pete Marino, president of emerging growth at Molson Coors. “CKBG created a delicious, authentic, super-premium brand, and it equips our company, and our distributors with another high-quality option.”
The deal is the latest move of Molson Coors to expand its business beyond the beer aisle which resulted in late 2019 in a redefinition as Molson Coors Beverage Company (inside.beer, 30.10.2019). Other deals before included:
- Two weeks ago, the company announced to partner with actor Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and some of his friends for the exclusive distribution of ZOA, a non-alcohol energy drink made with better-for-you, natural ingredients. (inside.beer, 11.1.2021)
- In October 2020, the company stroke a deal with La Colombe Coffee Roasters for the exclusive distribution of its ready-to-drink coffee products La Colombe’s Draft Latte and Brazilian Cold Brew in convenience and drug stores nationwide. (inside.beer, 1.10.2020)
- In September 2020, Molson Coors entered into an agreement with The Coca-Cola Company to bring Topo Chico Hard Seltzer to key markets in the U.S. (inside.beer. 29.9.2020)
- Also in September 2020, Molson Coors unveiled 4 non-alcoholic beverages, including Huzzah!, a probiotic seltzer, MadVine, a plant-based diet soda, Golden Wing, a grain-based milk alternative and a yet-to-be announced, nootropic performance beverage. (inside.beer, 10.9.2020)
- In August 2020 Truss Beverage Co., the joint venture between Molson Coors Canada and Hexo Corp., announced to release its first line of cannabis-infused beverages across Canada. (inside.beer, 27.8.2020)
- August 2020 was also the month to launch Coors Seltzer which comes in four flavors: black cherry, lemon lime, mango and grapefruit.
- In April 2020 Molson Coors said to extend the cooperation with Hexo Corp for the development of cannabis-infused beverages also to the USA. (inside.beer, 15.4.2020)
- The same month Molson Coors launched Vizzy Hard Seltzer in four unique flavor combinations: Pineapple Mango, Black Cherry Lime, Blueberry Pomegranate and Strawberry Kiwi. (inside.beer, 8.2.2020)
- In November 2019 Molson Coors announced to make a “significant minority equity investment” in L.A. Libations. The company is known for developing and bringing to market novel and emerging non-alcohol beverage brands aimed mostly at health-conscious consumers, such as Zico Coconut Water, Core Water and Body Armor. (inside.beer, 18.11.2019)
- In June 2018 Molson Coors bought Top Shelf Beverages, a company which operates a kombucha brewery in Fairfield, California and sells the products under the Clearly Kombucha and C Botanicals brands. (inside.beer, 7.6.2018)